Tweak My Ride: car modification, tuning, tips and reviews

tweak: [verb] adjust finely; "fine-tune the engine"

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Honda Build Up

In the past week my Honda was returned to me. For the past two years the car was in the possession of a certain individual whom was paying the monthly installment. It was my bit for society to help a fellow citizen own a car.

In January he stop paying citing that the car requires major repair which he felt he should not bear. Not suprisingly I was upset. So managed to pay off all the arrears and I took back the car.

I have since been able to find a buyer for my little Perodua Kenari. Letting it go is a hard thing for me but it is something that I need to do, I cannot support payment for two cars.

The Honda EG9 is an interesting car. It sports one of the most powerful engines around.

A tuner's wet dream. The B16a VTEC engine is the heart of my Honda EG9. It's a limited edition engine of sorts, a one off thing that Honda dreamed off probably under the influence of weed.

It's configured for racing and that gives ample room for tuners to rev it up. I've heard a tuner in Canada achieving 420hp with a B16a engine. Introduced in 1991, its a veteran on the roads but one that can kick your teeth out. Under stock configuration it spurts out 155-160hp which is comparable to a 2006 1.8cc car. It's a four seater meaning there are in fact four bucket seats in the car. Not a family car, its a racing car.

The B16 line (B16a, B16a1, B16a2 and B16a3) ended in 1997 with the introduction of the B16b. Ending the emphasis on racing tuned engines for the more market-friendly family car engines. There has not been a specific racing tuned engine eventhough the other engines after the B16a are bigger capacity with higher hp output.

My immediate plan now is putting on Kayaba front absorbers to replace the current TEIN adjustable absorbers.

Next in line will be replacing the automatic gear box with a manual setup. A move to conserve fuel and also because the automatic gear box is showing wear and tear.

Thirdly, full bodywork. Welds need to be check and rusty areas fixed. Then a full respray can be done. The interior will need to be done up too. Recarpeting and probably new bucket seats for the front. There are plenty of after-market stuff to choose from and reconditioned parts available for this car so I am not too worried.

Somehow, I will need to source out the financing. I'll need to line up some projects and start collecting from those that owe me money.

At least I have a project that will help me de-stress and maintain my sanity because these next few months will be eventful.

Watch out for additional postings as I build this car up and also postings for all things concerning tweaking your ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home